Do you like to test your knowledge with a good travel quiz once in a while?
I love the occasional challenge of travel related questions. Putting countries and sights on a map and finding the correct capitals, languages and flags of a country – love it!
The options of how a good travel quiz can be set up is actually endless and over time we have come across many travel quizzes: some were really great, some not so much.
We are Hostelgeeks, collecting amazing hostels all over the world.
In this article we skipped the un-cool and boring travel riddles and kept space for the – hopefully you’ll agree – super fun travel quizzes out there!
Besides these quiz, we found more entertaining travel-related
We are keen to share with you our most favorite travel quiz (guess which one). Plus more quizzes to challenge your thirst for travel. We always keep adding more quizzes and trivia games for travel to this article. We recommend bookmarking this page.
Are you using and playing these games? Then show some love and let us know on instagram/hostelgeeks and link to this article.
List of ravel Quizzes we enjoy
From the smallest countries in Africa, to the weirdest flags of the world – the travel quiz is on!
Let’s get this quiz-party started:
1. 30 Travel Trivia Questions (with Answers below)
Below you find all our original 30 travel questions we have thought about and researched. First we only show you the questions. Below we added the answers to the questions. After all, you want to know who’s the best travel nerd here…
Every player takes a pen and paper and gives the answer to each question. Remember to add a number before every answer so you can identify them easier later on.
- What is the capital of Norway?
- What continent is Portugal located in?
- Where can you swim in the Dead Sea?
- What is the currency of China?
- What is the capital of Australia?
- What is the capital of Buenos Aires?
- What is the only divided Capital in the world?
- In which country do you pay with the currency “baht“?
- How many countries are in Africa?
- What is the population of South Africa?
- What is the population of the United States of America?
- How many islands does Spain have?
- In which year India got independence?
- In which country do you find the world’s highest waterfall?
- In which US State can you admire Grand Canyon?
- What is the Largest Islands in the World?
- how high is Mount Everest (in meter or in feet)?
- Which country has the longest coastline in the world?
- How many official languages are there in the European Union?
- In which continent is Cyprus?
- What is the highest/ strongest currency in the world?
- where in the world can you swim with pigs?
- what is the capital of Bolivia?
- What is the longest river in the world?
- What currency does Poland use?
- Which 7 countries belong to the United Arab Emirates (UAE) – each country gives a point?
- Where is the city of Kathmandu?
- How many islands belong to the famous Maldives (the closest estimation receives the points)?
- Which country name means literally “a land abounding in the pure” or “a land in which the pure abound“?
- Cuba’s three biggest exports are…?
All right, that are 30 travel quiz questions…Did you answer them? Below you find all the corresponding answers. Just to keep it simple, we also added again the questions along with the answer. This way you do not need to scroll up and down all the time…
All Trivia Travel Questions with Answers
- What is the capital of Norway? Oslo
- What continent is Portugal located in? Europe
- Where can you swim in the Dead Sea? Israel and Jordan
- What is the currency of China? Renminbi
- What is the capital of Australia? Canberra
- What is the capital of Buenos Aires? Trick question: There is none…Buenos Aires is the capital of Argentina.
- What is the only divided Capital in the world? Nicosia
- In which country do you pay with the currency “baht“? Thailand
- How many countries are in Africa? 54 (source)
- What is the population of South Africa? 60 Million
- What is the population of the United States of America? 328.2 Million
- How many islands does Spain have? 60 islands
- In which year India got independence? 1857
- In which country do you find the world’s highest waterfall? Venezuela
- In which US State can you admire Grand Canyon? Arizona, United States
- What is the Largest Islands in the World? Greenland
- how high is Mount Everest (in meter or in feet)? 8,848.86 meters and 29,032 feet
- Which country has the longest coastline in the world? Canada
- How many official languages are there in the European Union? 24 official languages (* source)
- In which continent is Cyprus? Europe
- What is the highest/ strongest currency in the world? Kuwaiti dinar (source)
- where in the world can you swim with pigs? In the Bahamas at Big Major Cay, known as Pig Beach
- what is the capital of Bolivia? La Paz
- What is the longest river in the world? Nile River
- What currency does Poland use? Polish złoty
- Which 7 countries belong to the United Arab Emirates (UAE) – each country gives a point? Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Sharjah, Umm al-Qaiwain, Fujairah, Ajman and Ra’s al-Khaimah (source)
- Where is the city of Kathmandu? Nepal
- How many islands belong to the famous Maldives (the closest estimation receives the points)? 1190
- Which country name means literally “a land abounding in the pure” or “a land in which the pure abound“? Pakistan
- Cuba’s three biggest exports are…? Tobacco, Sugar and Nickel
2. Identify world cities from street plans
Many cities of the world have their unique shapes and street plans.
The Guardian put together this travel quiz which challenges you to identify these world cities from their street plans alone. Nothing else, just the street plans from a birds eye view.
Some of the cities are very obvious, but only if you have been there already, whereas others are not at all easy to guess.
Give it a try and see what you think.
Play the travel quiz by The Guardian here.
3. Do you know Africa?
This travel game is one of our favorites!
Africa is a huge continent with many different countries and ethnicities, but do you know their distributions?
The travel quiz You Don’t Know Africa.com challenges you to guess all of the African countries and place them at the correct spot on the map.
We have to confess something…
when we started this game, we made our mistakes, and the clock was ticking.
Now, after a few attempts, we are proud to say that we managed to identify Africa’s countries and all their correct locations.
This travel game is also available for Asia, Australia, USA, and many more regions in the world!
Just scroll down the quiz and you will find the entire official list.
4. Why do you love the world?
Have you ever thought about the reason(s) why you love to travel?
The BBC developed a small game to help you put your finger on it. And in a nutshell there seem to be two reasons for traveling excessively: escaping or searching for something.
- “What’s the first thing you do when you get home from a trip?”
- “How do you get around a new place?“.
Get to the travel quiz Why Do you Love The World by BBC here, and find out why you might have constantly itchy feet.
When we took this travel test, they told us the following:
You are: the documentarian!
“For you, the only thing better than seeing a jaw-dropping view is capturing it forever. You thrive on finding the beauty around you, and showcasing it in stunning, unique ways. After all, there’s a big, beautiful world out there. It’s practically your duty to capture as much of it as possible!“
Pssst…a bit of an extra: Here are +29 songs for the perfect backpacker playlist
5. Do you know the Capitals of the World?
This game is pretty obvious, right?!
You need to guess the correct capitals of a country, and put them on the map.
At the end you will get a summary of how well you did. It is very cleverly done, but be careful, the map is rather small and it is difficult to hit the exact location of where you think the capital is located!
The photo shows Skopje, the capital of…..?
Here are our 5 secret things to do in Skopje.
Update: Here is a new quiz app for Android to get capitals to the countries in this world right.
6. The smaller-less known capitals?
How about we take it to the next level: Do you know the capitals of Sierra Leone, Eritrea, or Tuvalu?
Here you are asked to guess the world’s most obscure capital cities. These are a little trickier!
Test your knowledge about the less-known countries and capitals here.
7. Language Travel Quiz: Can you guess the language being spoken?
We were specifically looking for a quiz that specializes in languages, and we happened across this travel quiz with languages by Quartz!
You have to listen to different languages and then guess the correct one out of four possible choices.
At first it is not that simple, but once your ears adjust to the sounds it becomes easier every time you try it!
This language quiz was developed by Quartz using audio clips from the Wikitongues project: a global project that documents and preserves the diverse selection of languages around the world.
8. The Hardest Travel Quiz
When we first found this travel quiz we expected a lot and we were not disappointed!
You are asked to find answers to 15 questions like “What was the Peruvian city of Cusco’s street plan designed to resemble?“, or “How many official languages are spoken in India?“.
This travel quiz is purely challenging and fun!
The only pity is that you do not get any further information about the correct answers but as there is no clock ticking, you can simply search Google for more information.
Try the hardest travel quiz by Rough Guides here.
9. Where are you – Travel Quiz
Can you guess the correct place based on what the photo shows you? It is a tricky one!
For example, they may show you a photo of a Chinese statue, and it may be a China Town in some bigger city in the world, or, well, actually China.
The design is kept simple and clean, making it easy to click through the different photos.
When you have selected your answer, you will also get a short, not too overwhelming explanation about the place. Really well done!
Check out the travel Quiz ‘Where Are You’ here.
10. Flags of the World
This one can be really, really hard! Wanna give it a try? You have to choose the flags of different countries, and put their capital on the map.
You can play the flag travel quiz here and see how many flags of the world you can guess correctly!
UPDATE: This game is not online anymore. 🙁
11. Kahoot Games about Travel
Are you familiar with Kahoot? It is a online game used for learning, mainly by schools. I add here a video that explains how Kahoot works.
We have our own account at Kahoot and you can play our “You don’t know this world here“.
Summary: These 11 Travel Quizzes are fun!
As you can see there are many travel quizzes out there to challenge your knowledge about travel and geography.
They are all set up differently and are both fun and educating in their own way.
If you would like to improve your knowledge about European, South American and African countries – or any other continent/region for that matter – the You Don’t Know Africa.com is a real hit!
You will get instant results, and can see if and how you improved – it’s our personal favourite!
More cool travel articles:
If you prefer a travel quiz on your Smart Phone, just search for the term “travel quiz or world quiz” in the AppStore – there are many travel quiz apps out there you can play on the go!
Update: We found more amazing travel quizzes, so we decided to add them right below here.
a) How well do you know the world? By BBC
This game is super fun. It shows you the Google Street view and you have to make your guess where in the world this is. Sounds hard, right?! Well, it is even harder than we thought!
You can challenge your globetrotting knowledge here.
Do you have a particular travel quiz you like?
We would love to hear from you as we know there must be great travel quizzes out there that we missed.
Please leave us a comment. Let us know which travel quizzes you prefer!