The world’s 20 most lusted-after honeymoon destinations have been revealed – and it’s Bali that takes the No1 spot.
To draw up the ranking researchers turned to Pinterest, which many couples use for wedding planning, and analysed tens of thousands of boards dedicated to honeymoons. They calculated the most wished-for places for a post-wedding getaway by noting which destinations had been ‘pinned’ to boards the most often.
Unsurprisingly, many of the top countries are exotic destinations with picture-perfect beaches and endless sunshine. Coming second in the ranking is Italy, followed by Hawaii and The Maldives. Meanwhile, it’s notable, say the researchers, that Ireland and Iceland appear on the list despite their chillier weather – although both boast dramatic scenery.
Dean Harvey, from luxury travel company Kuoni, which carried out the research, said: ‘Pinterest and wedding planning go hand-in-hand, so it is a really valuable resource to gain great insights on where the most dreamed-about honeymoon destinations are in the world.
‘At Kuoni, we’re well known for offering some of the most incredible honeymoons on the market, and although Covid-19 is causing havoc with weddings at the moment we’ve been hard at work rearranging and planning honeymoons for 2021 and beyond. We hope this research can inspire couples who are looking to make a trip of a lifetime.’
Scroll down to see the top 20 destinations, in reverse order, with stunning pictures underscoring why couples see them as the ultimate places for romance…
20. FIJI: Researchers found that this archipelago in the South Pacific had been pinned on a total of 408 honeymoon boards. Kuoni describes it as having ‘white-sand beaches, breathtaking leafy landscapes and a wonderfully diverse culture’
19. SPAIN: According to Kuoni, those visiting Spain can ‘browse cobbled old-town streets, explore Unesco-listed nature reserves or climb a volcano, all on the same island and on the same day’. Researchers found it was pinned on 415 boards
18. BAHAMAS: These Caribbean islands were pinned on 417 boards, researchers found. Here, honeymooners can ‘kick back on powder-soft sands or go island-hopping’, says Kuoni
17. ARUBA: This small Caribbean island lies just 18 miles from the coast of Venezuela and offers ‘palm-fringed white-sand beaches in the south and dramatic landscapes in the north’. Kuoni researchers found it was pinned on 442 boards
16. ST LUCIA: Kuoni says this Caribbean island is ‘often touted as one of the world’s most romantic destinations’. Its research found it had been pinned to 477 boards
15. ICELAND: Despite its chillier climate, this Nordic island nation had been pinned on 499 boards, researchers found. Even though it has colder temperatures, Kuoni points out it does have dramatic landscape
14. FRANCE: This European gem has ‘history, culture and stunning scenery’, says Kuoni, as well as ‘sprawling vineyards, exquisite architectural monuments and World Heritage Sites’. The research showed it had been pinned on 500 boards
13. NEW ZEALAND: Kuoni says that there is ‘perhaps nowhere in the world more enchanting, nor more naturally beautiful, than New Zealand’. It’s no surprise then that researchers found the country pinned to 601 honeymoon boards on Pinterest
12. JAMAICA: The island of ‘white-sand beaches, rum and reggae’ had been pinned on 699 boards, according to the research. Kuoni says honeymooners can do ‘as much or as little as you want on this care-free island’
11. JAPAN: Kuoni describes Japan as a ‘rich country [that] offers an abundance of vibrant cities, cultural treasures and natural beauty’. The country had been pinned on 717 Pinterest boards, the research found
10. COSTA RICA: No amount of superlatives does Costa Rica justice, according to Kuoni, which adds it is ‘rugged, covered with rainforest and endlessly diverse’. It had been pinned on 729 boards
9. INDIA: Here, honeymooners will find ‘beaches fringed by the Indian Ocean, hectic but mesmerising cities and marble-covered palaces’, says Kuoni. The research showed it had been pinned on 734 boards
8. GREECE: This nation of thousands of islands had been pinned on 757 honeymoon Pinterest boards. According to Kuoni, couples who opt for a honeymoon here can ‘experience a healthy dose of ancient history and dramatic island-hopping’
7. MEXICO: Kuoni says honeymoons here can either be ‘a fly-and-flop or a journey of discovery’. That’s because it boasts the ‘picture-perfect coast of the Yucatan and forest-shrouded ruins’. The country had been pinned on 949 boards
5= THAILAND: This south-east Asian country had been pinned on 980 honeymoon boards – and its no wonder. According to Kuoni, Thailand has ‘otherworldly temples, jungle-clad national parks and beautiful islands scattered across a glistening emerald sea’
5= IRELAND: The Emerald Isle had been pinned on 980 boards thanks to its ‘impressive beaches and landscapes’. Kuoni says: ‘Steeped in history and culture, an Irish honeymoon offers a different style of romance for couples looking to start their newly married lives together’
4. THE MALDIVES: Kuoni says this archipelago is an ‘absolute classic’ destination for a honeymoon, and one that had been pinned to 981 boards. The travel company adds: ‘Offering clear waters, over-the-sea villas and some of the most breathtaking sunsets in the world, it’s not surprising that many couples are dreaming of here for their post-wedding trip’
3. HAWAII: Eight large islands make up the US’s 50th state, and Kuoni data shows it’s the third most popular honeymoon destination on Pinterest – appearing on 992 boards. Kuoni adds: ‘If you and your partner are interested in the variety of island hopping, then Hawaii is a great choice’
2. ITALY: Romance is everywhere you turn in Italy, says Kuoni, so it’s no surprise that Italy had been pinned on 997 honeymoon boards. The famous coastal areas of the Amalfi Coast, Capri and Sorrento dominate the images on Pinterest, with Kuoni adding: ‘And rightly so as they offer a high level of glamour that’s fitting for a honeymoon’
1. BALI: This small Indonesian island was pinned on 998 boards and Kuoni says it ‘packs a punch when it comes to the diversity of landscapes and activities it offers – from perfect beaches to dramatic waterfalls and fascinating jungle full of opportunities for adventure’. It adds: ‘A truly romantic destination, it’s well known for its hotels and villas with impressive infinity pools, tasteful design and incredible views’