I have been working on a PbtA hack with a Pokemon theme for a few months and posted most of my work up to that point for people to take a gander at. I didn’t post the Playbooks however, as I only had five of the eight done and had an upcoming move that honestly sucked the creative life out of me. That’s changed however and now all eight Playbooks (called Goals) are done.
This is the stuff I’ve posted before. I want to stress that these are still early days, nothing’s been playtested or finalized. All these documents are rough drafts.
The Intro: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QjH3xS-_eG13wMeD90E2gpj7rPlQL6jdVGMjvYPv2rI/edit?usp=sharing
Trainer Rules: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1z92jqDp7bnS71cBcKgy_UMilQqyHHoZwx-d-0dV3hQ4/edit?usp=sharing
Pokemon Rules: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pDY2ojKQfvyWcSYRUE8yruLcclaxFNZMx2-c9kJrMSM/edit?usp=sharing
Basic Moves: https://docs.google.com/document/d/17CwUK9SHFzz2wdylGh8txA__QW8NpfL_HSx-cHYqOUo/edit?usp=sharing
Now for the new stuff. Just like the above, the Goals are all rough drafts and haven’t been playtested as of yet.
Specializing in Pokemon Types, the Ace wants to become the reigning master of their Type. Dragon Tamers, Archeologists who focus on Fossil Pokemon or just a Trainer who likes Fire Types, Aces singular pursuits allow them to pull off tricks and stunning displays so long as the keep to their Focus.
Some people want their name in lights, others want to be the best like no one ever one. The Captain stands somewhere in the middle of those ideals but not for their own glory. Captains want to take charge of the next generation, teaching and shaping them on their own Journeys. Trial Captains, Gym Leaders and Battle Brains are examples of Captains.
You do want to be the best, the very best. The Region has a Champion and that’s all you’ve ever dreamed of. The Champion is the PC of every Pokemon Game, earning Badges and taking on the Elite Four and the current Champion to take their title.
Pokemon get sick like anything else and you want to make sure they get better. Pokemon also lay mysterious eggs with the help of friendly Breeders. Doctors straddle the working line between Nursery’s and PokeCenters, traveling to hone their craft.
Pokemon are for more than just fighting! Dress up, plays, surfing competitions, the World of Pokemon has more to it than making cute animals spit fire at one another. Idols want to be the top of the top of these exacting and excruciatingly precise routines.
The World of Pokemon is filled with mysteries and it is undeniable that one such mystery is how deeply connected the world is at a fundamental level. An energy runs through all things, Mystic Power connects Mankind to Pokemon and Pokemon to Nature and Nature to Mankind. You wish to delve into this power to not only understand your Pokemon and the world you live in but perhaps even to understand yourself.
There are mysteries in the World of Pokemon beyond Mystic Power. The various Regional Gimmicks, ancient civilizations whose technology functioned with a symbiotic relationship with Pokemon, the secret lives of Legendary Pokemon. They’ve excited you ever since you were a child and now as you take off on your Journey, you may find that these mysteries are that way for a reason. But you are going to find out, no matter what.
People need things in the Pokemon World. Transportation, better Berry farms, better PokeBalls! Someone has to make all those things and that’s where Smiths come in. You are a walking workshop, testing your various creations the only place you’re going to get good testing. In the field. A working product isn’t all you need however. To be successful, you need people to help produce on a mass scale and supply the money to do it but you can find those easily, you’re on a Journey after all.
It’s a lot to cover for sure so thanks for taking the time to even get this far!
– I still need to complete the GM’s Playbook. This will be themed after the Regional Villain Team
– I still need to get some kind of inventory sheet for things players can buy with income and how they actually earn said income. This will include GM advice on how to use Pokemon and Trainers as challenges outside just rolling Engages all the time.
– I need to go back and touch up some of the Goals. The Champion and Idol were made first and their Goal Mechanics both show that. The Advances for Goals are also a bit lackluster in the early Goals so I need to touch those up.
– I took inspiration from Masks (on a number of things) to twist to my own ends. The one thing that hasn’t really seen much of a twist is the When Our Journey got Started mechanic that each Goal has. I’m not sold on it, I’ve been mulling over replacing it. That still might happen.
– The big one. Playtesting. I already have five or six people interested in Playtesting on my own Discord server but I’d like to round it out to three full teams of four. Make sure every Playbook is accounted for. If people are interested, I hope to get started in January/February of 2021.
– Eventually I will be going back and scrubbing all mention of Pokemon out of this. Certainly after Playtesting. The intent is then, as one would imagine after all this work, to sell it. I already have an artist willing to do a full color “Pokedex” to go along with the rules. We can’t sell it when it’s using Pokemon, so that’ll all have to get replaced. That’s far into the future however.
I think that’s it…and my longest reddit post on top of it. Thanks again for any interest!